Thank you for considering employment at De La Salle North Catholic. We seek applicants with a passion for educational ministry, a desire to work within a team, and a zeal for working with young students in an urban setting.
Job Title: Vice Principal for Academics
Reports To: Principal
Classification: 12-month, Exempt, Full-Time (1.0 FTE)
Ideal Start Date: July 1, 2020
De La Salle North Catholic High School provides a Catholic, college-preparatory high school education to underserved students from the Portland area. We are the most diverse private high school in Oregon, and over 95% of our graduates are accepted into college. Our goal is to develop tomorrow’s community leaders by making high-quality education accessible to motivated young people in a learning environment that values cultural, spiritual, and ethnic diversity. Our educational approach provides each student with the opportunity to succeed through small classes, high expectations, and active participation in our Corporate Work Study Program affiliated with the nationally-recognized Cristo Rey Network.
Under the general direction of the principal, provide leadership for the academic program, to include: promote our Lasallian Catholic identity; a new-teacher mentor program; teacher observation and coaching for culturally responsive content and methods; oversight of the Curriculum Team; assessment data review with a culture of team reviews of student work; coordination of summer academic programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Promote our Lasallian Catholic Identity
● Provide spiritual leadership within our Lasallian Catholic identity
● Positively support all stakeholders
● Actively work to create a loving, respectful instructional team
● Participate in faith formation programs
● Work with peers at area Catholic high schools and support the Archdiocese of Portland in its mission of ensuring Catholic Identity within its schools
Supervise Curriculum Development and Alignment
● Chair the Curriculum Team in its execution of continuing curriculum development and providing recommendations for Professional Development
● Meet regularly with academic departments for instructional planning and review course guides with department chairs as needed or requested
● Ensure curriculum is vertically and horizontally aligned
● Assess needs, develop and implements plans, and evaluate the academic programs of the school including course offerings, summer school, and online programming
● Ensure curricular compliance with the educational programs and directives of the District of San Francisco New Orleans and the State of Oregon
Supervise Classroom Instruction through teacher observation and coaching
● Visit classrooms frequently to observe appropriateness, efficacy and fidelity of academic programming and pedagogy
● Provide frequent support to new/young teachers through observation, feedback, and formation, with special attention to classroom management and serving our student population
● Assist and mentor teachers as requested by the principal
● Oversee teachers’ compliance of posting of grades and course materials
Direct all academic policy adoption and accountability
● Administer all school policies related to the academic life of the school
● Conduct an annual review of all academic policies
● Review and publish the annual Course Catalog
● Coordinate meetings/communication with families of students in danger of academic dismissal
● Oversee the Coordinator of the Academic Resource Center and collaborate on scheduling academically at-risk students to its services
● Oversee Academic Dishonesty interventions
Supervise Summer Academic Programs
● Coordinate Academic Readiness and Proficiency Programs with the Summer Administrator
● Ensure summer staffing needs
● Serve as point person for University of Portland PACE tutors
● Communicate with students and families about credit recovery process
Assist the principal with
● Hiring process of new teachers and all substitute teachers
● Sustaining and retaining an excellent instructional team
● Creation of the Master Calendar
● Directing teacher assignments and student placement within the Master Schedule
● Review and revision of the Family Handbook
● Overseeing the work of the Registrar including management of PowerSchool
● Serve as a member of the Academic Administrative Team
● Serve as a member of the Student Review Team and participates in decision-making regarding academic or conduct related student dismissals
● Work in concert with the Admissions Office with the acceptance and placement of incoming 9th graders as well as transfer students into 10th, 11th, and 12th grades
● Coordinate special events such as parent-teacher conferences, Back-To-School Night, Academic Award ceremonies, Senior Presentation and graduation
● Serve as the Administrator in charge in the absence of the Principal
● Occasional travel to attend Cristo Rey Network or Christian Brothers workshops or conferences
● Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal
Minimum Education and/or Experience
● Degree or certificate in educational administration required, or demonstrated evidence of work in progress toward that goal
● Master’s degree in Teaching or Education, required
● Fluency in Spanish, strongly preferred
● Demonstrated successful classroom teaching experience of at least five years
● Demonstrated experience and leadership in the areas of curriculum development, cultural proficiency, evidence-based teaching and learning, instructional support and results-focused professional development
ADA Compliant list of Physical Requirements
● Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary position.
● Must be able to occasionally, safely operate a motor vehicle in accordance with state regulations.
● Must be able to constantly move about office/classroom to access file cabinets & office machinery,
● Must be able to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as calculator, copy machine, printer, etc
● Must be able to occasionally position self to maintain computers and other office equipment, including under desks/in server closet.
● Must be able to constantly communicate with students/parents/other staff to convey pertinent student information.
● Must be able to rarely work in outdoor weather conditions
Salary Range: DOE. Generous benefit package to include: 6 weeks paid sick/personal time, 3 weeks of which you will take during Spring & Christmas breaks, 13 paid holidays, Medical/Dental/Vision with a shared premium cost, employer-paid life insurance and long-term disability, EAP program, and a 403b plan.
To Apply: Please use this link for this job posting and apply directly from there. Position is open until filled with a start date of July 1, 2020. Successful completion of background check is a condition of employment.