Thank you for considering employment at De La Salle North Catholic. We seek applicants with a passion for educational ministry, a desire to work within a team, and a zeal for working with young students in an urban setting.
De La Salle North Catholic High School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law in the administration of any of its educational programs and activities or with respect to employment.
Job Title: Mathematics Teacher
Reports To: Principal
Teach five sections of mathematics, including Geometry and Precalculus. We are looking for someone with a passion for educational ministry, a commitment to culturally responsive pedagogy and curricula, and a zeal for working with low socio-economic, diverse teenagers. Work in collaboration with your Department and Level Teams: the mathematics team develops curriculum and ensures continuity in math content; and the 9th Grade Level Team ensures rigorous student engagement and academic support.
The De La Salle North Catholic mathematics team joins with other math teams to share in the Silicon Valley Mathematics Initiative. The Initiative is based on high performance expectations, ongoing professional development (five sessions per year), examining student work, and improved math instruction. The Initiative includes a formative and summative performance assessment system, pedagogical content coaching, and leadership training and networks.
Mathematics has long been a threshold subject for young students. We are looking for someone to inspire confidence and understanding of math and, thereby, prepare our students for the mathematics that lie ahead in college and life. To this end, we seek a creative, highly collaborative, solutions-oriented person who wants to work on this problem of practice.
- Observe professional hours aligned to the specifics of the periods assigned, to ensure some time either before school or after to work with students
- Fulfill weekly lunch-time prefect duties as part of prescribed duties with your Level Team
- Be present at Department and Grade Level Team meetings, as well as all staff meetings, staff retreats, and staff celebrations, unless approved by supervisor
- Fulfill all Team and evening or weekend school-related activities as listed in the Compensation Arrangement
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Compose annual, unit, and lesson plans using the Cristo Rey Mathematics Benchmarks and core methods of the Silicon Valley Mathematics Initiative
- Utilize effective research-based instruction and assessment
- Learn about and integrate Google Classroom and 21st century skills as a regular feature of instruction
- Engage in peer-to-peer classroom observation and support to build curricular and instructional expertise within the whole team
- Commit to serving all students, including students with learning differences in the context of the regular education classroom using methods outlined in Learning Support Agreements or with support from counselors
- Keep abreast of developments in your field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional development
- Ensure safe storage and accounting of classroom resources, e.g., textbooks, calculators, or project materials
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s preferred in Mathematics or a related field.
- Possess or be working toward an Oregon teaching license in the subject area of instruction or related field
- An ability to actively participate in and contribute to Department and Level Teams
- Experience working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Strong communication skills, oral and written
ADA Compliant list of Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary position.
- Must be able to constantly move about office/classroom to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Must be able to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
- Must be able to occasionally position self to maintain computers and other office equipment, including under desks.
- Must be able to constantly communicate with students/parents/other staff to convey student academic information.
- Must be able to occasionally move or lift up to ten pounds of AV equipment or school supplies.
- Must be able to occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions
Annual Salary and Benefits: Salary depends on experience.
To Apply: Please use this link to apply. Start date TBD. Open acceptance of applications until position is filled. Successful completion of background check is a condition of employment.