Thank you for considering employment at De La Salle North Catholic. We seek applicants with a passion for educational ministry, a desire to work within a team, and a zeal for working with young students in an urban setting.
De La Salle North Catholic High School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law in the administration of any of its educational programs and activities or with respect to employment.
Job Title: English Teacher
Reports To: Tim Joy, Principal
Teach five sections of English, typically combining two levels of high school English from Freshmen English through Advanced Placement English for Seniors We are looking for someone with a strong understanding of literature taught at the high school level, as well as experience teaching writing and composition. We seek a teacher with a passion for educational ministry in a Catholic school, a commitment to culturally responsive pedagogy and curricula, and a zeal for working with low socio-economic, diverse teenagers.
- Observe professional hours aligned to the specifics of the periods assigned, to ensure some time either before school or after to work with students
- Be present at Department and Grade Level Team meetings, as well as all staff meetings, staff retreats, and staff celebrations, unless approved by supervisor
- Fulfill weekly lunch-time prefect duties as part of prescribed duties with your Level Team
- Fulfill all Team, Lasallian Youth Ministry, and evening or weekend school-related activities as listed in the Compensation Arrangement
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the English team and principal in providing college-ready instruction in literature and composition
- Compose annual, unit, and lesson plans using Understanding by Design methods
- Utilize effective research-based instruction and assessment
- Commit to serving all students, including students with learning differences in the context of the regular education classroom using methods outlined in Learning Support Agreements or with support from counselors
- College degree in English (Master’s preferred) or a related field
- Possess or be working toward an Oregon teaching license in the subject area of instruction or related field
- An ability to actively participate in and contribute to Department and Level Teams
- Experience working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Strong communication skills, oral and written
ADA Compliant list of Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to frequently remain in a stationary position.
- Must be able to constantly move about office/classroom to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Must be able to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as calculator, copy machine, computer printer, etc.
- Must be able to occasionally position self to maintain computers and other office equipment, including under desks.
- Must be able to constantly communicate with students/parents/other staff to convey student academic information.
- Must be able to occasionally move or lift up to ten pounds of AV equipment or school supplies.
- Must be able to occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions
Annual Salary and Benefits: Salary depends on experience.
To Apply: Please use this link to apply. Start date TBD. Open acceptance of applications until position is filled. Successful completion of background check is a condition of employment.